Understanding Brexit

Graham Taylor
University of the West of England, UK

List price $24.00 Add to basket
Product Details
14 Nov 2017
Emerald Publishing Limited
88 pages - 129 x 198mm
On 23rd June 2016 the United Kingdom shocked the world by voting to leave the European Union. The results of the EU referendum showed 52% in favour of leaving against 48% who voted to remain. This short book examines why this happened, examining the historical, economic, political, social and cultural reasons that led to the Brexit vote. Putting Brexit in the context of the growth of globalization, neo-liberal capitalism, changes in migration trends and the emergence of populist politics, this book goes beyond the narrow and shallow accounts offered by the media and media-inspired books to provide a rigorous and critical analysis of the most dramatic event to confront contemporary British society since the 2nd World War.
Chapter One: Brexit means Brexit! Or does it? 
Chapter Two: Reluctant Europeans? An Economic History of European Integration in the UK  
Chapter Three: Two Tribes? The Winners and Losers of European Integration 
Chapter Four: New Political Alignments? The making of a Pro-BREXIT Electoral Coalition  
Chapter Five: Post-Brexit Trajectories Bibliography
Graham Taylor is Associate Professor in Sociology at the University of West of England, UK. He has published widely on political sociology, globalization and labour studies and is the author of The New Political Sociology: Power, Ideology and Identity in An Age of Complexity.

You might also be interested in..

« Back